Re: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)

Kernel Stuffs (kernel@gladden-fields.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 4 May 1999 12:30:36 +0100

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 09:33:23AM +0100, alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 1999, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>
> > Ken Thompson is interviewed in this month's _IEEE Computer_ magazine
> > on UNIX and developments. At one point during the interview, Computer
> > asks him what he thinks of Linux. Here's his response (any typos are
> > mine, and I show italics via <em> and </em>):
>
> Oh haha... I can't believe this guy. Hahaha what a joke this guy is.
>
> Unreliable and Linux in the same sentence? He must be on some really good
> drugs, and if so I want some!

Hmmm, seemed to me he would be looking at a distro equivalent to RedHat.
Try telling anyone that linux is reliable after showing them some
versions of gnome :-)

Unfortuneately because everyone calls the whole system Linux that because
an app fails the kernel gets tarred with the same brush.

Graeme