Re: Kernel memory profiling

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 4 May 1999 22:28:42 +0100

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 04:16:56PM +0100, alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk wrote:

> > that's what I did now. I've gnuplotted a few graphs from the collected
> > information which can be found here: http://www.foobar.de/memgraphs/.
>
> Fascinating. There's a deep dip in the dentry_cache - I wonder where all
> that memory for that particular line has disappeared to.

IIRC, when memory pressures start to become acute, the dcache gets suddenly
pruned, which accounts for the drop of ~300 in dentry_cache. Note that
pruning the dcache will free memory elsewhere as well, particularly inodes,
which aren't allocated using the slab allocator.

> I would have
> expected the other lines to show a corresponding dip going upwards. So I
> would suspect a leak in the dentry_cache code in certain circumstances.

I'm don't think so, but I'm not an expert at this.

The thing that __really__ worries me is that skbuff_head_cache is >100,000.
It's currently *3* on my system, with a max of 125.

Joerg: what's running on this system? Do you see any odd network behaviour?

> Also, the steadily gowing-upwards curves for the rest is disturbing. I
> don't see any sign of memory being freed-up over time. There should be a
> point where it stabilises and starts re-using buffers instead of grabbing
> more and more memory as it requires.

*nods* Deep weirdness seems to be occurring. I'd be happier if one of the
more experienced mm people poked their heads in here.

S.

--
"Water?  Never touch the stuff!  Fish fuck in it."
                -- W. C. Fields