Re: ALSA ..

Mark Cooke (mpc@star.sr.bham.ac.uk)
Wed, 5 May 1999 10:30:43 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Teodor Iacob wrote:

> I got ALSA today so I get it run on a linux box : compiled, installed and
> when I try to use /dev/dsp I get:
> /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device
> or /dev/sndstat the same.

<snip>

> Modules Loaded snd-opl3sa isapnp snd-seq-midi snd-seq snd-cs4231
> snd-pcm1 snd-mixer snd-mpu401-uart snd-midi snd-opl3 snd-timer snd-pcm
> snd-synth snd

It's an ALSA FAQ - you must load the snd-pcm1-oss / snd-ossseq modules
to use the OSS compatible devices. See the FAQ in the alsa-driver
directory:

Q: Driver is working (mixer at least), but OSS programs says: Can't open
/dev/dsp. What's wrong?
A: OSS compatible PCM (digital audio) emulation comes as add-on module which
isn't loaded by default. If you have modified /etc/conf.module as suggested
in INSTALL, it should be loaded with kerneld or kmod. Check it - if this
method for some reason doesn't work - you need insert 'snd-pcm1-oss' module
manualy.

Regards,

Mark