Re: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)

Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
5 May 1999 19:56:04 +0200

david+nospam@killerlabs.com (David) writes:

>I would, in a heartbeat. Tell me, do you feel more secure that they use
>Microsoft? You would rather they have Microsoft running your money, or Linux?

Banks run their databases on real iron. Machines with downtimes in the
realm of seconds per year. Where you can upgrade your OS, Kernel,
hardware and almost everything else while running. No bank runs a
database on Microsoft software. Machines you can fire bullets at and
they continue to run.

>Have you seen an ATM lately running on Microsoft? Keep your eyes open. How
>many kiosks do you walk past in a mall that are locked up with the familiar
>BSOD or AE banners?

So what? These are ATM machines. If they're down, you don't lose
money. If your database server is down, you do.

Kind regards
Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Hutweide 15 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20