Re: sym/ncr53c8xx phase error still present in 2.2.7

Wed, 5 May 1999 21:02:30 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Rainer Clasen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Shaw Carruthers (shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk),
> "sym/ncr53c8xx phase error still present in 2.2.7":
> > I did my monthly save under 2.2.7 and hit the phase error again, which I
> > have been getting since late 2.1.xxx. Random disk data is corrupted and
> > this time it took me a few hours to get the system back up.
>
> I see similar problems with an NCR810A and an IBM DDRS 4.3G. I've removed
> anything else from the bus, replaced all cables, switched to known good
> terminators, disabled sync tarbsfer, queueing, disconnect. No luck. I tried
> 2.0.35, 2.2.[67] - if available with the sym83c8xx driver, too.
>
> Replacing either disk (with an elderly 1G Seagate) or controller (with an
> Adaptec 2940) solves the problem.
>
> I tried to reproduce this with FreeBSD 2.2.6 and 3.0 - Problem disapeared.
> It ran my stress test for 5 hours. Linux ran only between 5 minutes up to 2
> hours stable.
>
> Somehow I don't think it's hardware-related.

You seem to ignore that most (all?) of pieces that are used to build a
computer, hardware and software as well, are bogus, and that a system that
seems to work is just fortunate enough to not have bad bugs being
triggered.

You can think as long as you want but your computer (as mine) is just an
assembly of pieces of crap and nothing better. :-)

I base my replies on the technical informations that are send with the
problem descriptions. I cannot waste all my time to ask informations. I
have a couple of weeks ago replied to a problem of phase change and it
seems that I just waste my time.

If you want problems to have better chance to be solved, you must provide
information on your system and not only just describe the symptoms.

You testings do not prove anything about the real cause of the problem.
If bogus A makes problems because of a correct behaviour of B, changing
the behaviour of B may prevent problems of bogus A from being triggered.

Gérard.