Re: sym/ncr53c8xx phase error still present in 2.2.7

storner@image.dk
5 May 1999 23:26:40 +0200

In <Pine.LNX.4.05.9905042337530.268-100000@leaf.leinster> Shaw Carruthers <shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk> writes:

>On Tue, 4 May 1999, Rainer Clasen wrote:

>> I see similar problems with an NCR810A and an IBM DDRS 4.3G.

>I have same type of drive:

>sym53c8xx: 53c860 detected with Symbios NVRAM
>sym53c860-0: command processing resumed
> Vendor: IBM Model: DDRS-34560 Rev: S92A

[snip]

>So maybe a strange interaction between the 2.2,x scsi driver and the IBM
>disk? Or the ide tape driver fouling up the bus?

Just to add another data-point to this, I also have one of these drives
sitting on an NCR-based controller.

sym53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 11, function 0
sym53c8xx: setting PCI_COMMAND_PARITY...(fix-up)
sym53c8xx: 53c875 detected with Tekram NVRAM
sym53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 10, function 0
sym53c8xx: setting PCI_COMMAND_PARITY...(fix-up)
sym53c8xx: 53c860 detected with Symbios NVRAM

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: IBM Model: DDRS-34560 Rev: S92A

The disk is the only device on the 875 controller; I have a tape drive
and Zip disk on the 860.

I have no problems with this setup. Have been running all of the
2.2.x kernels without any problem at all. I regularly perform
backups from the SCSI disk to the SCSI tape.

The SCSI disk only has Linux partitions, though. I have a separate
(IDE) disk for the rare occasion that I have to run Windows.

--
Henrik Storner     | "Software engineering is a race between engineers
<storner@image.dk> |  who try to create foolproof software and the