Re: Invalid inode->i_sb in clear_inode()? (was Re: Kernel Oops,

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 5 May 1999 16:02:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

> Making a wild stab in the dark, I'd say that inode->i_sb points somewhere
> silly for this inode. I don't know why that should happen. This is probably
> a job for Mr. Viro, but I'll keep looking up the stack trace in case anything
> obvious leaps out at me.

Stack trace will not help here - grow_inodes() was called due to
shortage of free inodes and it stumbled accross the thing with i_count
being 0 and i_sb being FUBAR. We never deallocate struct super, so it's
not a case of a dangling pointer after kfree(). We never deallocate struct
inode and reuse it only for other inodes, so either it's a corrupted cache
chain (not modified outside of inode.c) or corrupted i_sb or random memory
corruption from completely unrelated source...