Re: Invalid inode->i_sb in clear_inode()? (was Re: Kernel Oops,

Michael B. Trausch (mtrausch@wcnet.org)
Wed, 5 May 1999 17:12:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

SD>> I know vaguely what you're talking about, but since I know almost nothing
SD>> about programming, I'll trust that you know what you're talking about.
SD>
SD>Most unwise!

Well, I know enough to tell if you're shittin' me -- I think. =)

SD>> One thing that I can do is mail the binary kernel image and its friends
SD>> the modules if that would help any -- i know that every built kernel is
SD>> different in some little way.
SD>
SD>I don't think we need to be that drastic, yet :)

OK... I'm just uncertain as to how much info is needed to track this stuff
down. This is only my second oops -- the first one that I had was my
fault, because I put in a piece of nonworking hardware (RAM) and wanted to
see what would happen.

However, everything in my system is just fine. RAM is okay, CPU is okay,
cards/hardware is OK. All hardware has drivers either in the kernel or as
modules.

Anyway, since this is my first _real_ oops, I hope that I'm doing things
accordingly.. though, I don't know exactly how to contact whomever I'm
supposed to contact, Linus says in /usr/src/Documentation/oops-tracing.txt
that I should find who does that part of the kernel. But, my question is,
how? I can't debug for crap, unless you've got me working with BASIC.
Still learning what to do here...

SD>> Usually, I upgrade within 48 hours of the kernel release. The thing is
SD>> that my system is SO slow (486 dx/4) that it takes between two and three
SD>> hours to build a kernel. I learned that the first time I built one. So,
SD>> I do everything using cron, basically.
SD>
SD>Hmm.. It only used to take my 486dx2-66 30-40 minutes max, but that was for
SD>1.2/2.0. I don't think 2.2 is _that_ much bigger. You not compiling from
SD>floppies or tape or anything? <g>

I compile a lot of options that many people don't. For example:

HFS Filesystem
Macintosh Parititon Support
vesafb (*)
others...

Many of the options that I compile in are things for other people as well,
like the vesafb. It's basically a "generic" kernel... even my friends
with PII and PIII processors want to get their kernels from me, because
I've been compiling kernels for a long time now and am relitively familiar
with it. Hell, I should tell them that if they want a kernel recompile,
they can take me to their house and I'll do it there -- it'd probably only
take a couple of minutes, and I could make two kernels... one special for
their system, and one special for mine.

SD>> BTW... should I reboot my system, or is it stable? It seems like it's
SD>> stable to me... only thing is that syslog is printing everything to the
SD>> console unless tail -f /var/log/messages is run, but that's fine by me.
SD>
SD>Hmm.. It depends what it's used for; it might not be such a bad idea to reboot
SD>if you can spare the downtime.

Well, it's just a personal machine. The only thing that prevents me from
booting is my ego... I want to get a good uptime ;)... The lowest uptime
I've seen is something like 40 days here in my area... The max I've ever
had was 10, and a new kernel came out. Now I'm up to:

5:11pm up 6 days, 10:35, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Oh, well. I'll reboot. =)

SD>--
SD>A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says.
SD>The bartender promptly serves up a beer.
SD>"How much will that be?" asks the neutron.
SD>"For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge"

LOL! I like the sig! =-)

Michael B. Trausch
President of Linux Operations, ADK Computers
ADK Computers, Walbridge Office Phone: 419.838.8104
5375 Keller Road Main Office: 419.882.7435
Walbridge, OH 43465 E-Mail: mtrausch@wcnet.org
Wednesday, May 05, 1999
ASCII stupid question... get a stupid ANSI!