Re: [patch] SMP race fix [was Re: SMP lockup & 3c509 on 2.2.x [aka.

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Thu, 6 May 1999 02:04:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Taneli Vähäkangas wrote:

>(can't try pinging the other host is in my little brother's room and he's
>sleeping with computer turned off ;)

;).

>BTW, I think Linus meant that your patch won't work if an interrupt
>handler calls disable_irq(its_own_irq). But as I said I didn't read it

Ah ok. But that's the way I expect it to work. In the unlikely case you
want to disable the irq from the irq itself simply use
disable_irq_nosync(). If you instead call such my new API from a normal
context you are assured that after it there won't be an irqhandler running
on the same CPU that run previously disable_irq_nosync().

But in general it make not a lot of sense to disable an irq from the irq
itself, because if you are the irq your are just assured by design that
you can't reenter in yourself.

>> Maybe I am dreaming...
>
>I don't think you are.

Happy to hear that ;).