Re: fork() Problem?

Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm+eric@ccr.net)
05 May 1999 20:43:23 -0500

RJ> I started to notice sloppy code being written this way several years
RJ> ago when 'gcc' started to allow it. Just because 'gcc' fixes bad code
RJ> doesn't mean it's the way to go (unless it fixes the source at the
RJ> same time).

K&R C second edition page 208
in A7.17
.... The type of an assignment expression is that of its left operand,
and the value is the value stored in the left operand after the assignment
^^^^^^
has taken place.

If anything gcc started warning about this a couple years ago, and not the
other way around.

gcc does not fix bad code, or it would not be standards compliant.

Eric