Re: Overscheduling DOES happen with high web server load.

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Thu, 6 May 1999 09:32:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
> Phillip Ezolt writes:

> > (Kernel v2.2.5, Apache 1.3.4, egcs-1.1.1, iprobe-4.1)
> >
> > When running a SPECWeb96 strobe run on Alpha/linux, I found that when the
> > CPU is pegged, 18% of the time is spent in the scheduler.
>
> This is some very interesting data!

Indeed.

> > It looks like the run queue is much longer than expected.
>
> Instead, I'd like to explore ways of reducing the (already low)
> scheduler overhead.
>
> In September last year I wrote a patch which put RT processes on a
> separate run queue.

I'll start working on my scheduler bigpatch again. There
must be more things that can be incorporated in order to
improve the efficiency and performance of the Linux
scheduler...

regards,

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.