Re: [patch] SMP race fix [was Re: SMP lockup & 3c509 on 2.2.x [aka.

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Thu, 6 May 1999 17:12:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Raul Miller wrote:

>(1) For the case of common code, shouldn't the wrapper be migrate out into

Which is the wrapper? disable_irq() that recall __disable_irq()?

>the non-common region?

IRQ_INPROGRESS in the wrapper is a i386 thing.

>(2) Couldn't something be done to >occasionally< detect this potential lockup,
>and occasionally issue warnings? [So, yeah, it will lock up, but somebody is
>gonna see the warnings.]

If you look my last "big" patch that merge all my previous ones (I sent it
to the list one second ago) you'll notice that I issue a warning and I
don't lockup. But after the warning the code _may_ SMP race (but you seen
the KERN_ERR infact ;).

Andrea Arcangeli