Re: what is the "best" RAID 5 scsi controller?

Lawrence Walton (lawrence@the-penguin.otak-k.com)
Thu, 6 May 1999 08:59:24 -0700

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 09:06:40AM -0400, mark@hoist.nlcomm.com wrote:
Mylex makes a couple great raid controlers.
My Main server (unfortunatly not Linux) is a DAC960 with 32 megs of cache, raid5
with three 18 gig Seagates.
I heard that the Linux Mylex drivers are first rate.

> I'm building a new server and I get to pick the hardware; so what is
> the best "ultra 2" raid 5 controller wrt Linux support? I plan to
> have qty. 4 9-gig discs and would like a controller with a good amount
> of caching (raid 5 is very dependent on write caching).
>
> How will it notify me if one of the drives goes out (it will be far,
> far away from me in an unattended room)?
>
> Hot swapping is a bonus but not too important.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark
>

> -

*--* Mail: lawrence@otak-k.com