Re: Overscheduling DOES happen with high web server load.

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Fri, 7 May 1999 17:26:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Jim Gettys wrote:

>Also, you may very well NOT be idle; it is feel under load, not interactive
>feel on an unloaded system.

Infact reschedule_idle() should take care (currently in 2.2.8-pre2 has
some relevant problem according to me) also to reschedule a running task
in function of the avg_slice, the priority of the task and if it's
timeslice is going to expire.

>I think rehashing the history any more is futile; a more serious discussion
>about whether there are any advantages for Linux to up its HZ rate for
>the kernel would have merit.

I am not sure if we need an higher HZ rate, but before increasing the HZ
rate is better to get reschedule_idle() working as best. Far better to
spend more time in the wakeup path then having a fixed cost all the time
(that will invalidate L1 cache).

Andrea Arcangeli