Re: mmap from 0xFFFF0000 -> 0xFFFFFFFF does not work, why?!

B. James Phillippe (bryan@terran.org)
Fri, 7 May 1999 08:43:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> Bossek Raphael <raphael.bossek@solutions4linux.de> asked:
> > i'm working at a bios flash utility for some pc manufacture and have
> > trouble in using the mmap function :(
> as a module. Doing it as a character device would likely be
> the best way.
> "root" isn't powerfull enough, those must be executed
> in the supervisor mode -- within the kernel, that is.
> Another reason to go via device driver kernel module.

Hi,

You might already know this, but if not it could be useful. Stepan
Reinauer has been maintaining and updating his /dev/bios module (the
interface is a character device file) which can read and write the flash
BIOS in most PC's and Alpha's, and even PCI cards (like video and SCSI
adapters). I've used it quite successfully. :-)

http://www.freiburg.linux.de/~stepan/bios/

BTW if the latest version available on the website Oops's in 2.2.6, let me
know and I'll send you a diff that fixes it. Stepan already fixed the
problem internally but may not have had time to update the web page.

-bp

--
B. James Phillippe		. bryan@terran.org
Software Engineer, WGT Inc.	. http://www.terran.org/~bryan