Re: Linux can't stay up for more than an hour?

Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn (xkahn@cybersites.com)
Fri, 7 May 1999 10:59:41 -0400 (EDT)

WE GOT SOME OUTPUT! I just got this message from our sys admin:

In any case, I happened to be on it last night when it fell over, and the
console messages indicated a kernel dereference of a NULL pointer within
an interrupt handler. I'm guessing it's our race condition.

He now fully believes that it isn't a problem with NFS. (Odd...
That was our first guess, and I thought it was pretty good, too.) It
looks like it's a race condition, and we suspect it's in the 3c59x driver.
(Seeing as Andrea Arcangeli found a race condition in the 3c509 driver...)
Of course, it *could* be something worse...

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 17:27:21 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@e-mind.com>
> To: Mike Galbraith <mikeg@weiden.de>
> Cc: Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn <xkahn@cybersites.com>
> Subject: Re: Linux can't stay up for more than an hour?
>
> On Thu, 6 May 1999, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>
> >The newer snapshots don't recognize stdcall as an attribute any more
> >so the whole thing dies.
>
> ah, ugly. I should rewrite the asm of __switch_to without using stdcall...
>
> >Removing the attribute builds but it reboots instantly; seemingly upon
> >first encounter with __switch_to().
>
> Yes yes, it can't work without stdcall...
>
> Andrea Arcangeli

-Ben