Re: Overscheduling DOES happen with high web server load.

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Fri, 7 May 1999 20:48:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> > It's based on the idea of a priority heap.
[snip]

> so? And how do you handle VM and CPU (and who knows what type of
> other future) affinity?

I haven't thought about that yet, but I think we _will_
have to think up something to make the current scheduler
more responsive and more predictable under load and to
reduce the CPU time used by niced tasks.

I think that even without the priority heap we can use the
Quantum/Defer model in order to get better predictability
and responsiveness under load.

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.