Re: 2.2.7 fixes Apache problem? (Was: Re: 2.2.5 optimizations for web benchmarks?)

Cacophonix Gaul (cacophonix@yahoo.com)
Sat, 8 May 1999 17:35:34 -0700 (PDT)

The fix you mention does fix the 200ms delay for each connection
between 2.2.5 and host stacks that (incorrectly) increment
cwnd on the initial syn-ack. I had mentioned this as a problem
in my first message
http://www.linuxhq.com/lnxlists/linux-kernel/lk_9904_03/msg00146.html

However, the apache problem I refer to is the problem where
apache is pushed "over the limit", and performance drops
to below 30 connections/second. After reaching this state,
and _after_ the specweb run is over, performance remains
low. _Every_ connection after that incurs a ~4 second
latency (even in unloaded conditions), until apache is
restarted. I don't believe this problem is caused by the
cwnd issue.

Again, as I mentioned, I haven't been able to explain this
on 2.2.5. The problem does not occur in 2.2.7, but that's
possibly because I'm unable to saturate apache on my
system.

cheers,
karthik