Re: 2.2.7 fixes Apache problem? (Was: Re: 2.2.5 optimizations for web

Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Sun, 09 May 1999 05:01:13 +0000

Cacophonix Gaul wrote:
> With 2.2.7, the tcp performance (to certain clients) has
> .. gone up so much, that apache is no longer bottlenecked
> in my setup - I'm now constrained by disk I/O performance...
> the apache problem I refer to is the problem where
> apache is pushed "over the limit", and performance drops
> to below 30 connections/second. After reaching this state,
> and _after_ the specweb run is over, performance remains
> low. _Every_ connection after that incurs a ~4 second
> latency (even in unloaded conditions), until apache is
> restarted. ... The problem does not occur in 2.2.7, but
> that's possibly because I'm unable to saturate apache on my
> system.

Can you try a smaller fileset? I bet if you used a 64MByte
fileset, like Mindcraft did, you might be able to fit it
in RAM. With the disk bottleneck out of the way, maybe you
could push Apache over the limit again.
- Dan