Re: Oops assist...

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Sun, 09 May 1999 09:36:38 -0400

Al Lipscomb <arl@q7.net> said:

> > > I don't trust the kernel enough to fiddle around with disks when it has
> > > just crashed...

> Since most systems have some way to dump memory I thing that it should at
> least be a compile time option. But here are some other thoughts:

If the "most systems" refers to Unices, remember that those people have
full control of hardware and software. Not the case of an OS that mostly
runs on kludged together pieces that have to keep semantics of a broken
design made of utter crap parts from the late 70's. And the idea of dumping
kernel core on panic makes me shiver...

> Mark an known location in memory after the kernel loads with a special
> pattern and some kernel environmental information. Set aside some space
> for problems. In a normal reboot clear this area on the way down. In a
> panic try and add some information to the reserved area.

AFAIK, BIOSes on PCs clear all RAM on boot. Besides, there are the poor
souls who have to boot via syslinux, ntldr or other non-native methods.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616