Re: kernel upgrade error

Mon, 10 May 1999 08:44:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Leo Fernandez wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm currently in upgrade with my linux version 1.3.20 to kernel
> vesrion 2.2.6. I have problem upon running make dep. upon issuing
> (make dep) I encounter the following error.
>
> usjr:/usr/src/linux# make dep
> gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep scripts/
> mkdep.c
[SNIPPED]

It looks like the new version has backward links into /usr/include. You
need to do have the new linux source in some sane directory, it should be
called linux-2.2.6.

Now, check to see what the link, /usr/include/asm, is pointing to. It is
probably pointing to /usr/src/linux/include/asm. If so, you should create
a sim-link between your new source-tree and /usr/src/linux.

# file /usr/include/asm
/usr/include/asm: symbolic link to ../src/linux/include/asm

If you put the kernel in 'standard' places, the kernel would be:

/usr/src/linux-2.2.8
rm /usr/src/linux (This should be a sym-link)
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.8 /usr/src/linux

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.6 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).