Re: Why does Mindcraft insist on 4* 100BaseTX?

Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Mon, 10 May 1999 15:52:06 +0200

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> If you're thinking about someone serving web pages to the Internet,
> I assure you that 400 megabits of bandwidth costs a hell of a lot
> more than 1 4-cpu PC. Or two. Or ten.

No. We have only one small web server, and we're using an old Pentium
(AFAIK the oldest computer still in use) with Linux & Apache.
NT crashed to often.

But I thought about the benchmark:
It's possible that there is a minor bug if you use this
hardware configuration. I know that Linux doesn't handle unusual
hardware combinations very well: when I installed Linux on one
computer, I had to fix a bug in the SCSI mid-layer before the
computer was usable.

Perhaps someone (I don't have the hardware - we use 10 MBit]) could
install this hardware combination and look for anomalies.

Regards,
Manfred