Re: The WHY's (RE: ide drive w/dma ... system crash)

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Mon, 10 May 1999 10:27:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 10 May 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

> I think the explanation is more simple than this, all of the IDE
> controller chipset vendor MS drivers I've ever disassembled do all of
> the PIO and DMA "tuning" and setup in the MS driver, overriding
> anything the BIOS did at all. The BIOS settings are simply discarded
> and never actually used.

Okay, if this you have verified this also, is it not reasonable that Linux
may need to do the same thing. I mean that we should test the BIOS setup
against the max capabilties and correct on an as needed basis.

> So even if the BIOS is getting it wrong, MS users are not likely to
> ever see any effects since vendor IDE drivers are doing the dirty work
> in the OS driver anyways.

I gathered that nasty, and attempting to duplicate it but with out the
clobber effect.

> I'm sure there are cases where this is not true, but all of my
> sampling has shown it to be this way.

Can I take it that you potentailly endorse this methodology being applied
to linux?

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy

Candidate for pre-patch-2.2.8-series or pre-patch-2.2.9-series
http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/
2.2.7.uniform-ide-6.19.golf.patch.gz

http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/2.2.7.uniform-ide-6.19.patch.gz
http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/ide.2.0.37pre11+pat7.gz