Re: what is the "best" RAID 5 scsi controller?

Tony Gale (gale@syntax.dera.gov.uk)
Mon, 10 May 1999 15:39:53 +0100 (BST)

On 10-May-99 Paul Slootman wrote:
> The thing I'm wondering about is support for the specific RAID-5
> features from within the Linux environment. E.g., how is failure of
> drive reported (if at all)? I'd like a message in the syslog, at
> the
> least... A utility for checking the status / configuring the RAID
> subsystem would also be a must; I'd hate having to reboot into DOS
> or
> even --horrors-- NT to do that. Even using the onboard BIOS
> firmware
> isn't something I'd want.
>
> All the RAID controllers I've seen have pretty NT programs for
> configuring and monitoring the RAID subsystem, but not for anything
> else (except perhaps SCO Unix...)

AMI have just announced Linux support for their MegaRAID management
software (see www.ami.com). Unfortunately, I haven't actually managed
to find the actual software yet.

-tony

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <gale@syntax.dera.gov.uk>
Since we're all here, we must not be all there.
		-- Bob "Mountain" Beck

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of any other person or official body.