Re: New partition type

Mon, 10 May 1999 21:33:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Manfred Spraul wrote:

> Hi Riley,
>
> Riley wrote:
> > 2. When dealing with an oops, use direct disk reads/writes with
> > no interrupts or the like. At this point, performance becomes
> > irrelevant, BUT we must ensure that any previous logged data
> > that hasn't yet been written to disk gets written out as well.
>
> I don't think that you'll be able to do that:
> You might be able to write such a driver for plain IDE,
> but you'll fail for SCSI: the sym53c8xx driver: 300 kB,
> the contoller has it's own assembly language and must
> be programmed; the aic7xxx.c: > 370 kB, and I'm sure
> you'll have similar problems.

Speeking for the ncr/sym53c8xx drivers, there is no problems to
add some poll for completion behaviour code. The problem is just
to add some path that tells the driver to behave so.
By the way, it should not be different for other SCSI drivers.
Should not exceed 20 lines of code in ncr/sym53c8xx drivers.

Gérard.