Re: [patch] new scheduler

Michel LESPINASSE (walken@wrs.com)
Tue, 11 May 1999 13:59:29 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 1999, Michel LESPINASSE wrote:

> > As a side remark, one should note that you do not need to write
> > malicious programs to observe this limitation of the CPU time
> > accounting in Linux. I'm working on a realtime video processing
> > application right now and it is quite hard to time, because of the
> > time accounting limitations.

> This is an area which _can_ be adressed cheaply in the
> current code. We're already using the TSC counter for
> scheduling purposes, so why not use it for near-perfect
> time accounting?

I think it would be very helpful - as much for accounting as for
protecting ourselves against malicious tasks. (by the way I have another
example of a task that behaves very badly - on one of my computers, the
mtv mpeg movie player sometimes makes the system really crawl. I'm not
sure exactly why, but it could be related to it using just under one
timeslice to decompress a video frame....)

I didnt know that we used the tsc counter for scheduling, though.

--
Michel "Walken" LESPINASSE - Development Engineer at Wind River Systems
                             walken@wrs.com - http://www.via.ecp.fr/~walken/