Re: SB Live by Creative.

Jens Benecke (jens@pinguin.conetix.de)
Mon, 10 May 1999 23:11:47 +0200

On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 08:13:22AM -0400, Steve Willer wrote:

> > Be fair - they may have restrictions on the code they're already using,
> > so they're not allowed to release it.
> They haven't made any definitive statements about their source code plans
> (that I know of). They haven't explained the fact that no source code has
> been released. yetIt would be nice to at least have some kind of
> explanation.

I know its not polite to quote private email but I think this is in
everyones interest. The problem is that there is only API documentation for
external developers - everything that is used to program the chip directly
has, so far, apparently been just included in the blueprints and
mathematical, theoretic chip development papers (which obviously cannot be
released).

Anyways, this is what J.Hawley(sp?) from Creative told me.

___CUT___

Creative is willing to provide programming information, but there simply
isn't any because it hasn't been written. We have almost never given this
type of information out, instead we have exposed functionality through
API's (Windows centric). So we have to work on writing the documents,
sample source code, etc.

It's not an NDA issue, the information is NOT usable. We designed the chip
together, I was on the team that architected the chip. The documentation
has details that need to be removed, such as theories of operation for the
logic blocks, formulas, algorithms. None of this is programming
information.

I will have the stuff ready as soon as possible. Stay tuned.

> btw, how was the windows driver developed? ;-)
The software engineers looked over the shoulders of the VLSI team.

___CUT___

That should clear things up a little.

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

"Bastard Operators from Hell" anagrams to "Shatterproof Armored Balls"

Anyone comfortable with using Linux shall use it. Anyone wanting to tell other people what they should be using can go work for Microsoft.