Re: make boot fails

alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk
Tue, 11 May 1999 14:44:54 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:

[I've cc'ed this to the linux-kernel list, since this must be a bug]

> > for the kernel, AFAIK. His kernel was over 648k! If he had used "make
> > bzImage", he would have had the ability to build a kernel up to 16MB in
> > size.
>
> Did you try ? I did. 1413kB kernel (including bootsector and setup)
> does not build. No kernel of size over 1MB builds from official
> source.

That should not happen. I was quite specifically told when I asked about
this a few years back that bzImage should be able to handle kernels up to
16MB in size. >scratches his head<

> There is a check in arch/i386/boot/build.c that do not allow to build
> a kernel which is greater than 1MB-16B (0xffff * 16 bytes)

Weird. My uncompressed kernel image after compiling the sources is > 1MB
in size and when I use bzImage, it is compressed down to 620k.

> Do you know any patch that allows to build and boot a kernel of size ~1.3 MB
> directly from floppy, without lilo/loadlin ?

In theory you should be able to - that's what the bootsect.s stuff is
compiled into the start of the kernel image is for. I believe you could
use dd if=vmlinux of=/dev/fd0, and try booting.

Is the bzImage compression working properly?

Cheers,
Alex

--
"A mind opened by new ideas cannot return to its original limits"

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk