Re: [OT] util-linux-2.9p

Nix (nix-kernel@esperi.demon.co.uk)
11 May 1999 21:37:03 +0100

Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@e-mind.com> writes:

> In the fvwm2 case you didn't complained even if I not merged back my work
> in the mainstream release (that I still don't know where is located). With

It was linked from http://math.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/.

The latter is hardly hard to find, but it is quite new and probably did
not exist when you were hacking at fvwm2. But the old site was linked
from yahoo and altavista, at least.

Might I suggest using search engines? Searching for the name of the
package is often a Good Thing. I know continental phone bills are insane
even by .uk standards (thank the damned PTTs) but a couple of search
engine hits are worth it when you consider the cost.

Consider also that every package you fork unnecessarily becomes a sort
of albatross around your neck forevermore (until you get rid of it or
merge it back).

The waste of effort involved in eg XEmacs vs Emacs should make it quite
obvious that forks are Bad, unless really necessary (and they almost
never are; egcs vs gcc being the only case I can think of).

--
/* I hate C so much... */ --- jwz, in driver/xscreensaver.c