Re: 2.2.8pre6, can't run ZMAGIC binaries

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
12 May 1999 10:01:23 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.m1675yelko.fsf@flinx.ccr.net>,
Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm+eric@ccr.net> wrote:

>I have a patch (I'm planning to submit in early 2.3) that causes
>a.out binaries that ar 1kB aligned to be read totally into anonymous memory
>when they are started, keeping functionality but not optimum memory sharing...

As someone who's got a 99.44% [1] a.out linux distribution, I think
this is a really REALLY bad idea. Building a.out objects is
already, umm, interesting enough without having to worry about an
ongoing war against the kernel.

____
david parsons \bi/ [1: except for ldd and ldconfig, which are statically
\/ linked so they're safe against libc vagaries.]