Re: what is the "best" RAID 5 scsi controller?

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Wed, 12 May 1999 23:16:21 -0700

From: Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:09:58 +0200

The thing I'm wondering about is support for the specific RAID-5
features from within the Linux environment. E.g., how is failure of a
drive reported (if at all)? I'd like a message in the syslog, at the
least... A utility for checking the status / configuring the RAID
subsystem would also be a must; I'd hate having to reboot into DOS or
even --horrors-- NT to do that. Even using the onboard BIOS firmware
isn't something I'd want.

All the RAID controllers I've seen have pretty NT programs for
configuring and monitoring the RAID subsystem, but not for anything
else (except perhaps SCO Unix...)

Check out the README.DAC960 on my web site (http://www.dandelion.com/Linux/)
for information on the monitoring and configuration capabilities of the current
Linux Mylex RAID controller driver. I think you'll find all the logging
capabilities and status monitoring you'd want. In addition, I am working with
Mylex to add an interface to my driver so that they can port their suite of
configuration and monitoring tools to Linux.

Leonard