Re: 2.2.8_ikd1.bz2

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Thu, 13 May 1999 13:49:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Scott Lurndal wrote:

>Over the last 14 years of OS development, I've found having a
>debugger in a production kernel to be invaluable (especially when

In my little experience I never debugged the kernel with a debugger. I
never used xkdebugger in the current ikd too even if I maintain it ;).

I think the reason there isn't a debugger in Linus's tree is that passing
the time playing with a debugger may lead to fix the symptom and not the
real bug. I think we should always try to fix bugs by looking C code.

The point is that most of the time we don't need a debugger (as we need in
userspace) to the the backtrace of the fault. And if you get a lockup with
all CPU clied a debugger won't help unless you drive the keyboard irq as a
NMI interrupt. Possible but I don't think you do it now in your patch.

Said that -> but I am quite fashinated by debugger internals and I like to
have it as a _last-resort_ thing in the ikd patch ;).

>While I've no idea what Linus and others reactions will be to including
>kdb in the base kernel release would be, I'll champion it for now, and
>if it is deemed that it doesn't belong there, then I'll be glad to
>integrate it into IKD (It should probably be done for the 2.2 series

Fine. So I really think I'll integrate it into IKD. Really if you want you
can send me a patch against the current ikd I released yesterday against
2.2.8 ;), otherwise I'll do the merge myself from your latest patch
against 2.2.3 sometime soon. Let me know...

I think I won't drop the current debugger of the ikd patch, but maybe I'll
update it soon with the latest version from Dave.

Andrea Arcangeli