Re: [Godwin] Re: Kernel Nazis/LinBSD (was Re: Slashdot shitheads)

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Thu, 13 May 1999 12:58:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 May 1999 kernel@draper.net wrote:

> Yup, I do think that Linux is becoming worthy of world domination.
> Maybe we can agree that will happen only as Linux progresses
> as a truly great OS.

Will never happen (former, that is ;-) There are different tasks
and they require different designs. Mixing them in one kernel will produce
a bloated monster unable to do anything well. That alone means that there
always will be different systems. Moreover, somehow I doubt that anything
will make *BSD folks drop their work. So there will be other free Unices.
Which is fine, since looking at the different solutions of the problems
may help big way. And desktop domination... Ever noticed what kind of BS
Windows desktop programmers produce? 'zactly. World is x86, portability
doesn't matter, let's use every detail of the underlying OS (and cry foul
if the thing will break apart on the next version), let's use every
internal function of system libraries we can find, let's run everything as
root to have a direct access to <piece of hardware of choice>, yodda,
yodda. Monopoly harms the OS that got that monopoly. If they would have to
deal with the market divided between several Unices... life would be much
nicer.

> Yup, I am becoming increasingly familiar with some areas of the kernel,
> including VFS, but surely not to the extent you are. I suppose
> my work must proceed without your mentoring, as your bigotry
> precludes those who frequent SlashDot. My minor little
> contributions to the kernel are hardly worthy of mention anyways.
> Oh well, sigh.

Darn. If you have questions - *ask* *them*. Sigh... Let me put it
that way: 99% of things I've seen on slashdot is a collective paranoia of
pretty aggressive sort. Who cares where you spend your time unless you are
frothing/claiming that everybody belong to Cabal (tinC)/sold their souls
to $EVIL_CORPORATION, yodda, yodda?
If you want to learn something - read the code, ask on the list,
read books, look for bug reports and try to find and fix the bugs, post
patches... More power to you. Nobody will flame you for asking normal
questions. There is no evil conspiracy.