Re: wishlist for 2.3.x

Nathan Hand (nathanh@wookie.chirp.com.au)
Fri, 14 May 1999 06:31:13 +1000

On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 09:57:31PM -0500, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
> Wishlist, just so that these projects can finally get more diverse
> hardware and environmental exposure:
>
> - GGI... http://www.ggi-project.org/
> - ALSA... http://www.alsa-project.org/
> - devfs... http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.txt
>
> Let the flaming begin. :-)

Jaroslav (perex, the main ALSA dude) has been given the thumbs up by
Alan Cox on the ALSA mailing list. OSS and ALSA will co-exist over a
transition period, with ALSA gently phasing out OSS drivers until no
more OSS drivers exist. Not a moment too soon, either.

GGI seems less likely (lots of opposition). Richard's devfs patch is
far more interesting: it got (one) positive response from Linus, but
lots of negative responses from other key developers. I'd like devfs
to be officially included too, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

--
Nathan Hand - Chirp Web Design - http://www.chirp.com.au/ - $e^{i\pi}+1 = 0$
Phone: +61 2 6230 1871   Fax: +61 2 6230 4455   E-mail: nathanh@chirp.com.au