Re: 2.3.1 hard lockup after sound being initalized

Bob_Tracy (rct@gherkin.sa.wlk.com)
Sat, 15 May 1999 18:29:16 -0500 (CDT)

David Morgan wrote:
> I made the plunge today and wanted to test (for shits and giggles
> mainly) 2.3.1, after I booted it I had no sound (I use GNOME with sound
> enabled). So I fired up GQmpeg to test sound, and then blame hard lock.
> No responce to ping, control-SysRq, nothing. It took a hard reset to get
> the system back online. Not suprisingly it left nothing in the log files
> so I really have nothing to go back and check.

Confirmed, and completely reproducible :-(. The good news is that
upgrading to 2.3.2 seems to have fixed the problem.

Now, if someone can tell me why 2.2.9 causes my CDROM burner to produce
coasters while 2.2.7 works just fine, I'll be an even happier camper.
The burner is a Yamaha CRW4416S. SCSI controller is a BT-948. The
burner is hooked up as an external device. Forgive me if I'm not
particularly anxious to produce more coasters in an effort to assist
someone in debugging this problem. I *would* be willing to purchase
some CD-RW media and work with *that*. The only problem symptom is
that the write gets about 3-4MB into the CD, then the light on the
burner goes out, then some number of minutes later I get the following
syslog entry:

May 15 10:10:23 gherkin kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 71092, scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0 Synchronize Cache 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
May 15 10:10:23 gherkin kernel: scsi0: Aborting CCB #71095 to Target 5
May 15 10:10:23 gherkin kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 71092) timed out - resetting
May 15 10:10:23 gherkin kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
May 15 10:10:23 gherkin kernel: scsi0: Sending Bus Device Reset CCB #71505 to Target 5
May 15 10:10:27 gherkin kernel: scsi0: Bus Device Reset CCB #71505 to Target 5 Completed

Not terribly useful, I grant you. The cdrecord process complains about an
I/O error (duh!). Same hardware setup under 2.2.7 works just fine.

--
Bob Tracy               |  "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist- "
Firewall Security Corp. |   - Last words of Union General John Sedgwick,