Re: Stupid MS challenge

Sat, 15 May 1999 23:59:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi Gregory.
>
> > I think that if Linux does go ahead with the rematch, we add the
> > following added requirements:
>
> ===8<=== CUT ===>8===
>
> > Finally, the test should be run in continous mode for *1 month*...
>
> Be sensible!!! "1 month" depends on who's measuring it, and when. The
> test should run in continuous mode for 5 weeks, which is a much more
> precice measurement of time...

NT doesn't run anything for more than a day. It stays up, but the
applications always stop. This is considered "normal" by M$. Even
M$'s C++ environment needs to be rebooted between compiles or it
won't link.

Running a benchmark for a month will guarantee that even a CP/M
machine will beat NT in overall performance, even if the database
is on 96k, hard-sectored, single-sided floppies that have to be
changed by hand.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.6 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).