Re: [Godwin] Re: Kernel Nazis/LinBSD (was Re: Slashdot shitheads)

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Sun, 16 May 1999 17:21:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Ricardo Galli Granada wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> > Most people don't understand the buffers/cache stuff.
>
> The theory is quite easy (I am teaching OS since 1993), the
> practice is hard.

If you're a capable OS person, you should start in
mm/vmscan.c and mm/filemap.c (shrink_mmap()).

> > Most people won't RTFM for you.
>
> I did not find shrink_mmap in any "nice manual". Did you?
> I could not find Linux buffers management documentation although I
> spent a lot of time. I am _almost_ sure they do not exist.

I'm pretty sure that this documentation is nonexistant.
Unfortunately I'm too busy to write it and add it to the
Linux-MM home page :(

If you've written the docs (might come in handy for an
OS teacher), could you send me a copy so I can include it
on the site and make sure the next person _is_ able to
find it?

cheers,

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.