Re: 2.2.8, 2.2.9 and CD burning

Bob_Tracy (rct@gherkin.sa.wlk.com)
Sun, 16 May 1999 22:39:09 -0500 (CDT)

Thomas Molina wrote:
> It worked here. CDRW is a Phillips CDD3610, kernel is 2.2.9. I'm using
> the cdrecord packages (v 1.8a20) made by Ryan Weaver. Any ideas on why
> mine is working and your setup isn't?

Xcdroast might be due for an update: 0.98 is supposed to be ready for
release sometime this year (1999). The xcdroast-0.96e distribution
uses cdrecord-1.6.1 with mkisofs-1.12b4, possibly modified to work better
with the front end.

You didn't mention what your SCSI controller is, but I'm not sure it
matters. I've seen other discussion about SCSI command timeouts
involving different controllers and/or applications. Without knowing
more about what changed between 2.2.7 and later kernels, I really can't
speculate as to what's causing the timeouts. It *could* be a hardware
problem, but it's hard to blame anything other than software when 2.2.7
works but 2.2.8 and 2.2.9 don't. I'll try burning a large image with
one of the 2.3.X (X>=2) kernels when I replenish my CD-R media stock.

Debugging 2.2.9 is going to have to wait until I get some CD-RW media.
If someone wants to try and work this issue, let me know and I'll make
the CD-RW media purchase a higher priority that it otherwise would be.

--
Bob Tracy               |  "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist- "
Firewall Security Corp. |   - Last words of Union General John Sedgwick,