Re: CD-RW

Paul Flinders (paul@dawa.demon.co.uk)
17 May 1999 07:53:12 +0100

"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@ican.net> writes:

> On Fri, 14 May 1999, Android wrote:
>
> >Is there anyone who would be willing to write kernel support for CD-RW ?
>
> Why not just use the existing support built into the cdrom
> driver? Just plop in a CDRW, and mount it. Nothing special need
> be done.
>
> >The CD-RW should be mountable just as any standard block device,
> >and the standard file commands (cp,mv,rm, etc.) should work without any
> >special program (other than the new kernel or module loaded).
>
> It allready does that, and has done so for ages. If you can read
> a CD, or a CDR on your drive, and if the drive is CDRW multiread
> compliant, then you can mount a CDRW just like any other disk.
>
> If you've burned the CDRW in Windows95/98 however with
> proprietary software such as Adaptec DirectCD, you are
> practically shit out of luck because it uses the UDF filesystem
> which is not supported in Linux as of yet. There is a project
> out there to add such support, but I gave up following their
> progress and decided to just avoid using UDF disks.

ISTR you can treat a CD-RW as a writable device using DirectCD - I
assumed that's what the original inquirer wanted.

I would guess that the UDF filesystem is structured to make the
re-write on-the-fly more efficient.

Does anyone know how granular the blanking process is on CD-RW - can
you erase a single sector?