Re: CD-RW

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 18 May 1999 00:33:06 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Tethys wrote:

> I haven't actually tried this, but even if you can, it's worth bearing
> in mind that the media has a *much* shorter life-span than a normal
> hard disk. From memory, most support something like 500,000 rewrites.
> On a normally mounted filesystem, that's not going to last very long
> before you start looking at data corruption. CD-RWs are really much
> better suited to occasional write usage, like rotated media for daily
> backups than for everyday use with a general filesystem like ext2.

[Excuse me for butting in, and I bet it's off-topic but..]

I'm sick of fscking tape drives, so I'm about to buy a HP-8100i IDE CD-RW.
Is this device compatible with Linux & is it a CD-RW device (ie 500,000
rewrites?)

Cheers,
Alex
--
"For some of us, horror movies ARE comedies. Doctor Giggles comes to mind"
- Alex Buell, May 1999.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk