Re: vger weirdness

R. Kelley Cook (KCook@IBM.net)
Mon, 17 May 1999 17:01:36 -0400 (EDT)

On 16 May 1999 17:58:29 +0200, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> Indeed, no, not via POP3, but software used at VGER for the MTA
> functions did handle pipe driven programs the same way as "message
> store files" (e.g. UNIX mailbox).
>
> My opinnion about considering "X-UIDL:" as a sign of spam is that
> the idea is misguided. All in all, an evolutionary view at the
> spammers can show that for every *simple* countermeasure we use
> against some simple signature characteristics, the spammers will
> adapt fairly quickly. The only truly effective way to block the
> spammers is to have message content analysing system which does
> recognize spams out of non-spams.

Actually, a pretty good quick and easy spam blocker is to throw everything
that does not contain your e-mail address in To: or CC: in a "Possible Spam?"
folder. Make sure that this is your last filter after any filters to sort
mailing lists. Essentially this will throw anything that was BCC'd to you
into that folder. Spammer's usually will send you stuff BCC'd so they won't
give away their email lists.

-- Kelley Cook