Re: Wish list for kernel 2.3

Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Mon, 17 May 1999 23:35:15 +0200

--q6mBvMCt6oafMx9a

On Sun, May 16, 1999 at 11:47:21PM -0500, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 1999, Adam Sulmicki wrote:
>=20
> > And that brings me to interesting question. Would that be technically
> > possible to implement IP-over-EIDE ? I figure many cheap-but-good mothe=
rboards
> > come with inbuild EIDE controller, but no Ethernet. Would I want make=
=20
> > clustering, it would be quite easy to connect those motherboards via
> > EIDE cables.
>=20
> We can not even throttle up and down nicely any drive-adapter combination
> to date with the latest changes. You might be able to pull of this one
> with identical mainboards that are from the same lot, but any ideas of
> mixing between chipsets.........I won't go there......my head is reeling
> in pain already from this thought.

For SCSI, it will be hard enough. But SCSI's design is for general purpose,
so it's possible without going crazy. Only the creators of SCSI chips didn't
expect to be in target mode ...

And one more point: EIDE is max. 45cm in length, which does hardly allow a
reasonable cabling.

--=20
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> SuSE GmbH, N=FCrnberg, FRG
Linux kernel development; SCSI driver: DC390 (tmscsim/AM53C974)

--q6mBvMCt6oafMx9a

--q6mBvMCt6oafMx9a--