Re: Bad apache perfomance wtih linux SMP

Juergen Schmidt (ju@ct.heise.de)
Tue, 18 May 1999 21:40:57 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Andi Kleen wrote:

> If you don't believe me :) you can verify it:
>
> csum_and_copy_from_user
> calls finally do_swap_page (same file)
> and there at the end is:
> unlock_kernel();

You convinced me, that it may happen anyway. What's still open is: is it
really ok, that it happens.
Perhaps we're just getting away with it, as long as it happens not too
frequently -- but at least it looks stable until now.
Tomorrow I'll know more :-)

bye, ju

Juergen Schmidt Redakteur/editor c't magazin PGP-Key available
Verlag Heinz Heise GmbH & Co KG, Helstorferstr. 7, D-30625 Hannover
EMail: ju@ct.heise.de - Tel.: +49 511 5352 300 - FAX: +49 511 5352 417