Re: most stable 2.2.x kernel?

Ian Eure (ieure@crosssound.narrows.com)
Tue, 18 May 1999 14:29:52 -0700

Brian wrote:

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Brian wrote:
> What is the most stable 2.2.x kernel out their for production use? I
> moved from 2.0.35 to 2.2.8 and had major crashes on about half dozen
> systems. I backed down to 2.2.7-ac4 (I wanted the >1024 descriptors), and
> had one crash so far.
FWIW, I have been running 2.2.5 on my big production db/web/file/mail
server for (checks) 39 days without kernel problems. Userland is another
issue.

I'm also running 2.2.7 without problems on several systems. 2.2.8 and
above seem to be a bad idea to have on production systems at this point.

| Ian Eure
<ieure@crosssound.narrows.com>                                 |
| Network Administrator, Cross Sound Appraisal
Company                    |

| "Believe it or not, there's more to being a sysadmin than
rabid         |
| technophilia."         --Annalee Newitz, "Invisible
Heroes"             |