Re: Long `rm` times.

Fri, 21 May 1999 14:02:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:

> | With version 2.2.6, I do not have long file remove times. If some
> | are having such a problem, it might have to do with their disk drives
> | and/or drivers. I have some SCSI disks and a BusLogic controller.
> | # timer rm foo
> | Time = 4 second(s).
>
> | Note that I synced the device after the copy. I think this shows that
> | the file-delete `problem` is a non-issue.
>
> Try rebooting and then deleting the file. I did so and it took around
> 30seconds to delete a 1GB file..... if I delete it IMMEDIATELY after
> creating it (including "sync") it takes (as youve shown) around 5 seconds or
> so.

Okay, here it is:
Script started on Fri May 21 13:58:27 1999
# ls -la foo
-rw------- 1 root root 363433984 May 21 13:58 foo
# uptine
bash: uptine: command not found
# uptime
1:58pm up 1 min, 1 user, load average: 1.04, 0.36, 0.12
# timer rm foo
Time = 3 second(s).
# exit
Script done on Fri May 21 13:59:08 1999

About 3 seconds for about 300 megabytes, 100 (virtual) megabytes/sec

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.6 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).