Re: [patch] releasing kernel lock during copy_from/to_user

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Mon, 24 May 1999 15:49:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Manfred Spraul wrote:

>The main reason why I would prefer adding release_kernel_lock() outside
>uaccess.h is the stability:

That's not a good point. If there is a bug somewhere better to give it
more light instead of trying to hide it. If with my unlocking code I'll
catch also some random bugs I'll be very happy :-).

>AND: since most obscure device drivers copy only a few bytes,
>the compare > 500 is wasted.

That's true.

>I'll install that patch again and perform a longer stress test.

You can show me your bug-triggering patch if you want.

Andrea Arcangeli