Re: [patch] releasing kernel lock during copy_from/to_user

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Mon, 24 May 1999 18:59:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

>too much unrelated changes. I think I'll send you a patch to try out the
>unlocking code alone.

You can at least see my latest changes to my kernel-unlock code at:

ftp://e-mind.com/pub/andrea/kernel/2.3.3_andrea5.bz2

I am not going to spend more time in such code since is better to spend
time to do the proper finegrined locking. When the kernel lock will be
dropped in the critical places I'll kill such uaccess.h-unlock code (even
if the lock-drop is placed in a _not_ inlined slow path...).

BTW, as usual there are also the far faster mirrors of my ftp area:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/andrea/
(USA, Thanks to SuSE -> http://www.suse.com/, large bandwith)

ftp://ftp.linux.it/pub/People/andrea/
(Italy, Thanks to linux.it guys)

ftp://master.softaplic.com.br/pub/andrea/
(Brazil, Thanks to Edesio Costa e Silva <edesio@acm.org>, 2MBits/sec)

Andrea Arcangeli