Re: [was: ext2 question] XFS opensourced!

Jim Nance (jlnance@avanticorp.com)
Tue, 25 May 1999 07:42:12 -0400

On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 10:25:02PM +0200, Stefan Mars wrote:
> I am getting slightly worried about this discussion. Often it is said that
> we need a journaling filesystem, either ext3 or xfs (assuming they get the
> license right). But why _or_?
>
> Why not ext3 _and_ xfs and let the users choose?

Certainly I would not want to discourage anyone from writting code that
they find interesting. From that standpoint if we have 2 journaling
filesystems or 15 journaling filesystems then so much the better.
However, from the standpoint of improving Linux, there are a lot of things
that need to be done. If whoever was going to write ext3 has other projects
they want to work on too, then its certainly better not to duplicate work.

Just my 2 cents,

Jim