Re: Mouse and keyboard drivers in the Linux Kernel?

Steffen Kluge (kluge@fujitsu.com.au)
Thu, 27 May 1999 23:11:45 +1000

On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 01:53:54PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > the real data we need. Oh, and using the GPM libraries is not
> > suitable because GPM is not always installed, and this stuff should
> > really be in the kernel anyway.
>
> Perhaps we should put X11 in the kernel in case the user forgot to install
> the X libraries

On a second thought this doesn't sound unreasonable at all. I
mean we wouldn't want to have the whole friggin' server in the
kernel, but all that down-to-the-chips device support is really
misplaced in a user-land app, isn't it?

I suppose fb shows the way. Maybe something similarly generic
can be found for mouse, keyboard, joystick, you name it. I
believe that ideally no user space application should ever deal
with real hardware (like /dev/port) directly, only with function
oriented abstractions presented via system calls. Not so much
for reasons of compatibility or availability but more for system
security, stability and aesthetics. No one else but the kernel
should be able to lock-up the whole system.

Just my humble opinion,
cheers
Steffen.

--