Re: Using a Sun type 5 keyboard on a PC

Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech-lists@twilight.ucw.cz)
Fri, 28 May 1999 13:15:56 +0200

On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 12:17:39PM +0100, Derek Fawcus wrote:

> I'd suggest turning of the AT->PC keyboard scan code translation that
> is being done in the keyboard controller chip. You'll then get a different
> set of scancodes, with key releases being proceeded by 0xf0 (if I remember
> correctly).
>
> Last time I checked all motherboards supported this, since the keyboard
> controller proms seem to be fairly standard. However, don't try changing
> the keyboard scancode set - not all keyboards support it.
>
> Note - this will require rewriting the keyboard handler code. It also
> means that raw scan codes will be different, but then I think XFree said
> they were going to change to using the medium raw set anyway.

Or just try my patches at

ftp://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/pub/linux/input/

They use the i8042 in raw (non XT) mode, and also try to switch the keyboard
into codeset 3, and so the Sun keyboard should work rather well with them.
If not, only minor changes to scancode tables will be needed, and I'll be
happy to do them.

Vojtech